This sunny Autumn family session at Duke Gardens was the perfect start to our Thanksgiving week!
As member photographers at Duke Gardens, we love when families take advantage of the fact that they don’t have to pay the regular fee to hold their session at Duke Gardens when working with us. Durham is such a beautiful city in the Autumn, and family sessions at Duke Gardens have to be one of our favorite things to photograph because of the variety of areas and plant life! If you’re worried about the cold at your session, know that this is one of our preferred times to photograph. Read on for some tips so that you can plan for your fall session!
Our favorites from this session:
- Elly and Kira are friends from school, which is how Jill learned of our work! Now on the bucket list: a friend session for the two of them!
- Baby Riley was such a cutie pie. While he was feeling a little under the weather with sniffles typical of the cold season, he came alive around the water in Duke Gardens at the fountain and fish pond!
- Elly was so into all of the gorgeous leaves that had fallen on the ground. We loved having her pretend to fly like a bird with some extra large ones!
Jill and Riley, thank you so much for trusting us with these photos. Your family is the cutest, and we loved getting to meet Elly and baby Riley. You four toughed out the cold together like champs and we hope you treasure these photos as much as we enjoyed creating them with you!
Tips for a family session on a chilly Autumn day
We rescheduled this session because it was raining on the day we were planning on meeting up with the Lochridges. We’ll take sunny weather any day if it’s cold out, but we know it can be hard for families or those who are especially cold-averse. Here are some quick tips if you consider yourself in one of those groups!
- Work with the weather and bring a blanket! It will be so cute for you to wrap up in together. Bonus: hot chocolate anyone?
- Don’t leave your jackets in the car! There is no need to be unnecessarily uncomfortable. We can just take them off when we reach spots for photos! Or, if you have cute coats, leave them on!
- Take breaks — we like to take breathers throughout the session to let kids just play or walk from one location to another so that you don’t have to be “on” all of the time. If you need more time to relax or warm up, advocate for yourself!
What do you think? Do you prefer sessions when it’s slightly chilly or a little too warm outside?