June 11, 2017
There were three things that we knew for sure when we first met with Natalie to talk about the wedding that she and Matthew were planning: there would be pineapples everywhere, her dress was going to change colors during her first dance, and they already had a really strong start to their marriage because they had already been married for five years!
We knew that this was going to be one amazing celebration. When we met with them earlier this year for their engagement session, we knew we were right. Even though we hadn’t met Matthew before then, we saw right away the same things that Natalie told us about him: that she loved him because of his outgoing, adventurous side and because of how caring and respectful he is to her. Because they did not have a traditional wedding when they got married, they thought their anniversary would be a nice time to bring together their friends and family to celebrate with them. They picked the historic Nassau Inn in downtown Princeton, New Jersey for both their ceremony and reception, and Natalie told us later during the evening that instead of a true wedding, it just felt like they had gotten fancied up to celebrate with their friends and family. We think that’s so fitting!
We got right to work photographing the beautiful details that Natalie set aside for us when we arrived (check out the engagement ring that Matthew added onto with new wedding rings!), but this celebration held so many of our favorite moments:
- Natalie wore some comfortable and colorful Vans (that Ian was eyeing) and surprised her dad with them at her first look!
- Matthew isn’t a huge champagne person, so they toasted using specially engraved glasses: they are different but they match and have their original wedding date on them!
- Natalie’s family’s two yorkies were along for the day and made a few appearances!
- Pineapples everywhere! There was a pineapple top on the cake, at the guest book, and one even ended up on the dance floor!
- After Natalie changed into her reception dress, she twirled everywhere! We love that she had two looks that she loved.
- …and let’s not forget the first dance. Natalie told us when we first met her that she was a huge Sleeping Beauty fan, so as she and Matthew danced to Once Upon a Dream, the lights were turned off and her dress changed colors just like in the movie!
- The toasts were some of the sweetest we have heard. Natalie’s dad and sister, Melanie, both were funny and sentimental and we loved hearing what they had to say about the couple.
- The surprise exit! There wasn’t one planned originally, but out of nowhere, sparklers showed up and we loved seeing their faces as they exited between their family and friends.
Natalie and Matthew, thank you so much for allowing us to celebrate with you! We loved being there to document your day and wish you the best for your continued marriage!
Want to see more Radian weddings? Head here!
Thank you to all of the vendors who helped with this wedding! We could not have done it without you!
Bride’s attire: Justin Alexander | Castle Couture | Bridal Suite Boutique
Venue: Nassau Inn
Florals: Petal Pushers
Cake: The Caketeria